St. George

St. George

Sir George, of Carrickdrumrusk, Co. Leitrim, was the 4th son of Sir Richard St. George. He was also killed in Ireland at Croghan in Co. Offaly. He was married to Catherine the daughter of a Captain Gifford of Castle Jordan in Co. Offaly. Sir George‚Äôs grandson, also called Sir George, was created a peer in 1715 as Lord St. George. He had no sons and his daughter, Mary, married John Usher an M.P. for Carrick on Shannon. Their son St. George Usher became the owner of the Leitrim/Galway properties and was created a peer in Ireland, in 1763 as Lord St.George of Hatley St. George in Co. Leitrim.  His daughter married the 2nd Duke of Leinster, a brother of Lord Edward FitzGerald who met his tragic fate in 1798. The St. George family continued in Co. Leitrim until modern times[1].

[1] As late as 1872 the local landowners, the St. George family, were granted ownership of the St. George Oyster Fishery in Clarenbridge by the then Inspectors of Irish Fisheries, excluding local people from what they viewed as their heritage. The ensuing 100 years saw many battles including court cases, imprisonments and threatened hunger strikes until BIM, at the behest of the Government of the day, purchased the fishery in 1981 on behalf of the state.

Click HERE for access to printed book.

Click this LINK for immediate access to the St.George pdf.