The Prittie dynasty in Kilboy began with Colonel Henry Prittie, one of Cromwell’s more trusted commanders. He was a Captain in Cromwell’s New Regiment of Horse. During the war in Ireland he was made Sheriff of Carlow (1650) and later Governor of Carlow. After the successful campaign Prittie was given about 1000 acres in the area in lieu of pay. Like many of his brother officers he immediately began buying up the lands that had been awarded to his fellow soldiers who had no wish to remain in Ireland. This, combined with his descendants’ fortuitous marriages to heiresses, meant that the estate grew over the next two hundred years, so that by the middle of the 19th century the Pritties owned about 16,000 acres of land in county Tipperary most of which was centred around Kilboy. Henry was married to Honor Foley of Stourbridge and he had one son, also called Henry. The Captain died in 1671. He was succeeded by his son Henry.
 The Pritties also owned Corville, near Roscrea, during the 18th and 19th centuries.
Click HERE for access to printed book.
Click this LINK for immediate access to the Prittie pdf.