Cliffe of Co. Wexford
The first of the Cliffe family to come to Ireland was John Cliffe, Secretary of War in the Army of Cromwell. He acquired grants of land in Wexford and Meath. In Wexford the Mulrankin estates of the Brownes were granted to William Ivory, John Annsloe and John Cliffe, but it was Cliffe who eventually acquired the whole estate, because of his exalted position as Secretary to General Henry Ireton, Cromell’s Deputy and son in law.
An M.P. for the borough of Taghmon, he was appointed High Sheriff of Wexford in 1680. He was married to Eleanor the 5th daughter of Nicholas Loftus of Fethard, Co. Wexford the grandfather of the first Lord Loftus of Loftus Hall.
Click HERE for further information.
Click this LINK for immediate access to the Cliffe pdf.