Butler of Ormonde
The magnificent Kilkenny Castle was the main residence of the Butlers of Ormonde from the time of its purchase in 1391 by the 3rd Earl right up to the middle of the 20th century. The stone castle was originally built by William the Earl Marshall in 1260 on the site of the older wooden structure erected there by Strongbow. Over the centuries the castle was extended and improved until by the end of the 18th century the edifice that stands today was in place. In addition the graceful and ancient town of Kilkenny grew under the patronage and stability offered by the Butler family in every century.
Click HERE for further information.
Click this LINK for immediate access to the Butler of Ormonde pdf.